[CentOS] surveillance DVR

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Jul 31 17:19:39 UTC 2013

> Ok, I *must* not have made clear what I was asking for. Let me try one
> more time....
>
> We want an appliance, such as
> <http://www.zmodo.com/4ch-h-264-full-d1-dvr-500gb-hdd-with-4-cmos-480tvl-ir-outdoor-security-cameras-with-11-leds.html>,
> that we can put on our network, and manage, and d/l videos for long-term
> storage, onto a server. We have exactly, um, two? boxes running Windows,
> and we normally do *nothing* with them. We've over 100 servers running
> Linux, and that's where we live.
>
> Currently, the USB cameras are connected to ->CENTOS SERVERS<-, no WinCrap
> at all. We use the standard package motion to record for surveillance.
> We're looking for an "appliance", like the link I give above, that we can
> manage the same way that we manage an HP printer, which does *NOT* require
> IE, and we can do with firefox, or probably even konqueror. At the very
> least, we want to use, say, wget, to d/l the videos.
>
> NOTHING RUNNING WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Now, if I can calm myself down, have I made it clear what it is we're
> looking for? If so, can anyone recommend a source for such an appliance?
>
>          mark

Not knowing if / how much you're willing to spend, take a look at a
Synology NAS, which has Surveillance Station. You get one camera license
with each one and then you have to buy additional camera licenses for
about $55 each.

Of course you'd be getting a lot more than just a surveillance DVR, so
may or may not fit your needs. They are great devices.

Good luck,
James