[CentOS] surveillance DVR

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Jul 31 17:52:18 UTC 2013

Marios Zindilis wrote:

>>> Not knowing if / how much you're willing to spend, take a look at a
>>> Synology NAS, which has Surveillance Station. You get one camera
>>> license with each one and then you have to buy additional camera
>>> licenses for about $55 each.
>>>
>>> Of course you'd be getting a lot more than just a surveillance DVR, so
>>> may or may not fit your needs. They are great devices.

I'm researching them. A bit higher than I was looking at - we need to
cover two rooms, floors apart, so it would probably be two appliances. I
do need to be aware of costs, as this is a US federal gov't agency
(non-defense), and there's this grandstanding thing called a
"sequester"....

>> Hello. We are using Kmotion, which as far as I have seen in our setup
>> stores static images (JPEG) every couple of seconds. I don't know many
>> details about it though, as our Physical Infrastructure team set it up
>> and manages it, but they are happy with it.
<snip>
Looks like a variant of motion, which, as I mentioned, is a standard
CentOS package. That's not the same thing as an "appliance". Think
"something we can plug in, just like a printer, but has cameras attached
to *it*".

      mark