[CentOS] Server dies after kernel upgrade

Thu Jul 4 13:36:48 UTC 2013
Chris Taylor <Chris.Taylor at corp.eastlink.ca>

I am running a server with CentOS release 6.4 (Final) and the kernel version of 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 and everything looks ok, but when I do a yum update on the kernel to update it to a newer version "2.6.32-358.11.1.el6".

It will not restart after the required reboot. It will start to load until the task bar at the bottom gets to the end than it stops loading I have been patient with it unless it requires more time to start but after 10min it was still just sitting at the task bar.

This is a VM machine so I just revert to a previous snapshot, but what should I be looking for that would cause this, and how should I fix it?

Thanks,

Chris