[CentOS] Yum hangs while doing anything (FIXED)

Mon Jul 1 23:28:07 UTC 2013
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 07/01/2013 05:52 PM Eero Volotinen wrote:
> is this fixing the issue:
>
> http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/rpm/16.shtml

I couldn't read any web pages because I shut down firefox hours ago
(thinking I was upgrading it) and then it (the older version) wouldn't
start again.  But then I just solved the yum problem, upgraded several
apps (including firefox) and the new firefox is working now.

All I did was put the original /var/lib/rpm/Packages file back where it
was.  (If you read from a post from earlier today, I mv'd off this file
and then ran rpm --rebuild to recreate it.  This fixed the problem with
yum hanging, but then I was getting crazy error messages from yum and
from rpm.)  Something told me to put the original Packages file back
where it was, I did, and now yum works again.  And the just-upgraded
firefox works too.

Thanks to you and everyone else who responded.  I have to say, I still
don't know what caused the problem in the first place.  But sometimes
things just have to be a mystery.