[CentOS] Centos 6.4, bnx2 in promiscuous mode does not see packets

Wed Jul 3 09:37:05 UTC 2013
Giles Coochey <giles at coochey.net>

On 02/07/2013 08:39, Giles Coochey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope someone can help me, I cannot seem to get a system's ethernet
> interface to correctly work in promiscuous mode...
>
> I have a Centos 6.4 system with 2 bnx2 interfaces on it.
>
> I have set up eth1 in promiscuous mode and am sending traffic to it
> using the port mirroring configuration on a Nortel 3510-24T switch.
> The switch reports that it is sending a fair amount of traffic to the
> mirror port.
>
> However, within Centos 6.4, I only see broadcast traffic from the
> switch:

This turned out, not to be a problem with Centos, but a limitation or
the interpretation of the port mirror feature on the Nortel 3510-24T switch.

Setting up a mirror port to capture traffic to/from port<x> and to/from
port<y> doesn't create a mirror port of traffic passing through either
interface, but seems to mirror traffic that passes through both
interfaces, which is no good in a VRRP situation!!

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd