[CentOS] Server dies after kernel upgrade

Thu Jul 4 15:54:05 UTC 2013
Keith Keller <kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us>

On 2013-07-04, Chris Taylor <Chris.Taylor at corp.eastlink.ca> wrote:
> I am running a server with CentOS release 6.4 (Final) and the kernel version of 2.6.32-279.19.1.el6.x86_64 and everything looks ok, but when I do a yum update on the kernel to update it to a newer version "2.6.32-358.11.1.el6".

As Lubomir pointed out yesterday, the latest kernel is vulnerable to a
DoS attack, so you should probably use a different one.  See Johnny's
message for details, and an untested kernel that you could use instead:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2013-July/135671.html

> It will not restart after the required reboot. It will start to load until the task bar at the bottom gets to the end than it stops loading I have been patient with it unless it requires more time to start but after 10min it was still just sitting at the task bar.

You can either try ctrl-d or ESC during the splash screen process (I
don't remember exactly which one), or you can edit the grub command line
when it runs on boot and remove the "rhgb" and "quiet" options from the
kernel options.

--keith

kkeller at wombat.san-francisco.ca.us