[CentOS] What FileSystems for large stores and very very large stores?

Fri Jul 5 13:55:39 UTC 2013

Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
<snip>
> I was considering using GlusterFS for a very large storage system with
> NFS front.
> I am still unsure EXT4 should or shouldn't be able to handle more then
> 16TB since the linux kernel ext4 docs at:
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/filesystems/ext4.txt in section
> 2.1
> it states: * ability to use filesystems > 16TB (e2fsprogs support not
> available yet). so can I use it or not?? if there are no tools to handle
> this size then I cannot trust it.

I would not go over 16TB (actually, I should say that I have not gone over
it, and I have several LARGE RAID boxes). The tools aren't there, or don't
work usefully (days to check a filesystem isn't "useful").

> I want to create a storage with more then 16TB based on GlusterFS since
> it allows me to use 2-3 rings FS which will allow me to put the storage
> in a form of:
> 1 client -> HA NFS servers -> GlusterFS cluster.

We tried out glusterfs a couple years ago, but I gather, from my manage
and the user who tried it, that there were some issues. I have no idea how
one would fsck a glusterfs.

*shrug* Why not stay under 16TB, and just mount the filesystems where you
want? Were you looking at someone creating a single file larger than that?

      mark
      mark