[CentOS] Understanding RPM trigger scripts?

Tue Jul 9 18:14:51 UTC 2013
Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane <todd.denniston at navy.mil>

RPM
> is upgraded/installed
>
> This works OK - once my custom RPM is installed, if the kernel is
> subsequently upgraded/installed, my trigger script is run
>
> However, the same trigger script is also run when I upgrade my custom
> RPM - which I don't want - and so far, I can't find a reliable way of
> making sure it isn't run in this case. The more I search for an
answer,
> the more I get confused :-)
>
> I know this is a bit off-topic and obscure, but does anyone know how
> make sure such a trigger script is only run when the RPM that triggers
> it is upgraded/installed - and not when the RPM that contains the
> trigger script is upgraded?
>
> Thanks
>
> James Pearson

While looking into doing similar things a few years ago I ran across the
following PDF.
It has several pages on doing triggers, and looked promising to help my
understanding, I just got pulled onto a different project before getting
to test out the ideas.
I think page 25 would be of interest to you.

http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/2010/presentations/summit/opensource-
for-it-leaders/thurs/pwaterma-2-rpm/RPM-ifying-System-Configurations.pdf

I hope this pointer to info helps.

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or
modify the terms of any contract.