[CentOS] postfix as default MTA

Thu Jul 11 22:34:22 UTC 2013
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

On 07/12/2013 04:56 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rob Kampen wrote:
>
>>> If anyone knows of any documentation on the recommended CentOS setup
>>> of postfix/dovecot with amavis, clamav and spamassassin
>>> I should be grateful for a pointer.
>> try the E-Mail item here
>   http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-0facb50d5796bee0bd394636c32ffa9a997a6ab5
>
> Thanks for your response.
> However, I had actually looked at this site.
> Unfortunately, if you look at the 5-line section on Spamassassin,
> you will see that all it says is how to run sa-update as a cron-job.
>
> Are you actually running the setup described in that document,
> based on amavis, clamav and spamassassin running under postfix/dovecot?
Yes I have this running on three different CentOS 5.x servers and until
recently was very pleased with it.
What changed?
I am seeing emails with ***SPAM*** in the headings getting through to my
Thunderbird client - this never used to happen, thus I think something
has broken. When I get some time I'll re-examine the setup and make sure
it is all functioning.
To be fair, I initially installed (2006/7) and ran postfix based upon a
Postfix book I purchased - this was very helpful as until that time I
had used sendmail with much frustration.
Postfix has many possible "checks" and this book helped me understand
what these did and more importantly, when in the process they did their
magic.
I later added the amavis / clamav / spamassassin as per the wiki - and
it all just seemed to work, sending a test virus got appropriately
caught and dealt with and this still functions. I do not get many of
these now as my business has shrunk and the staff that needed protection
have left.
My recollection of how and why all the parts are required is dusty -
will need to freshen this up now as I have just begun the install of a
new CentOS 6.x mail server.
HTH Rob