[CentOS] SSD support in C5 and C6

Fri Jul 19 14:10:11 UTC 2013
Alexander Arlt <centos at track5.de>

Am 07/19/2013 03:17 AM, schrieb Lists:
> Main thing is DO NOT EVEN THINK OF USING CONSUMER GRADE SSDs. SSDs are a
> bit like a salt shaker, they have only a certain number of shakes and
> when it runs out of writes, well, the salt shaker is empty. Spend the
> money and get a decent Enterprise SSD. We've been conservatively using
> the (spendy) Intel drives with good results.

Hm. I'm not sure, if I'd go with that. In my understanding, I'd just buy
something like a Samsung SSD 840 Pro (for not using TLC) and do a
overprovisioning of about 60% of the capacity. With the 512GiB-Variant,
I'd end up with 200GiB netto. By this way, I have no issues with TRIM or
GC (there are always enough empty cells) and wear leveling is also a
non-issue (at least right now...).

It's a lot cheaper than the "Enterprise Grade SSDs", which are still
basically MLC-SSDs and are also doing just the same as we are. And for
the price of those golden SSDs I get about 7 or 8 of the "Consumer SSD",
so I just swap those out, whenever I feel like it. Or smart tells me to
do so.