[CentOS] LSI MegaRAID experience...

Fri Jul 19 15:54:04 UTC 2013
Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>

John Doe wrote:
> From: Drew Weaver <drew.weaver at thenap.com>
>
>> If these drives do not have TLER do not use them with LSI controllers.
>
> Not sure about TLER on those Plextors...
<snip>
TLER would only show up on something that looks at a *very* low level on the physical drive. What I know is that you can see it with smartctl - from the man page:  scterc[,READTIME,WRITETIME]  -  [ATA  only]  prints values  and
              descriptions of the SCT Error Recovery Control  settings.
These
              are  equivalent  to  TLER (as used by Western Digital), CCTL (as
              used by Samsung and Hitachi) and ERC (as used by Seagate).
READ-
              TIME  and  WRITETIME  arguments  (deciseconds) set the specified
              values. Values of 0 disable the feature, other values less than
              65  are probably not supported. For RAID configurations, this is
              typically set to 70,70 deciseconds.

Note that knowing this was the result of a *lot* of research a couple-or so years ago. One *good* thing *seems* to be WD's new Red line, which is targeted toward NAS, they say... because they've put TLER back to something appropriate, like 7 sec or so, where it was 2 *minutes* for their "desktop" drives, and they disallowed changing it in firmware around '09, and the other OEMs followed suit. What makes Red good, if they work, is that they're only about one-third more than the low-cost drives, where the "server-grade" drives are 2-3 *times* the cost (look at the price of Seagate Constellations, for example).

----

I would also like to note that up until Red were released to had to use RE to get TLER, and now apparently RE, SE, and RED (cost in that order) all support TLER.

The thing that worries me about RED is that they're listed as only supporting up to 5 drives in an array, -- how are they limiting that?

I think they probably could've just merged RED and SE into one line of drives but I guess they limited RED to 3TB so if you want a 4TB part you have to get the SE.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that RE, SE, and Red are the exact same hardware with different FW.