[CentOS] When no MTA is installed, How to send an email with a cronjob?

Sun Jul 21 13:19:33 UTC 2013
Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>

Am 21.07.2013 14:56, schrieb Scott Robbins:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 02:31:32PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>> If you decide a full blown MTA is too heavy weight in your environment
>> on the different nodes (Postfix isn't the ideal choice for a so called
>> null client), then have a look at ssmtp for example. It is provided by EPEL
>>
>> http://pkgs.org/centos-6-rhel-6/epel-x86_64/ssmtp-2.61-19.el6.x86_64.rpm.html
>
> If I remember correctly, this does require an outside host--that is, you
> have to use your ISP's mailserver as relay.

You are correct, a null client sends towards a central mailhub. That
will be a properly configured MTA which does everything necessary to be
compliant with current mail exchange standards.

>> There is another null client called msmtp
>>
>> http://msmtp.sourceforge.net/
>
>> but that one isn't available being packaged for CentOS.
>

> That compiles very easily on CentOS, however.  Again, not sure if it can be
> used without making use of your ISP's mail server.

We are in a professional, enterprise environment I presume. Thus the
self compilation approach is discouraged. Even if it is a small program
which compiles easily. Unless you anyhow manage to maintain your own set
of RPMs and your local yum repository.

> I have an ancient page (slow site, not always up) on ssmtp, at
> http://www.scottro.net/qnd/qnd-ssmtp.html. It hasn't been maintained for
> awhile, there's a better page at the arch wiki.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSMTP

Alexander