[CentOS] How often is kernel "touching" swap partition?

Tue Jul 23 18:28:38 UTC 2013
Martin Šťastný <stastny.m at gmail.com>

Thank you for you responses,

first of all I need same amount of swap space as of memory, because I want
to use hibernation. Problem of placing swap partition on SSD is not with
too many writes, but with to much space used for nothing (in my case 8 GB,
16 GB in not so far future). I know about "swappiness" kernel tunable, but
I guess it has nothing to do with how often is partition "simply touched
for nothing" and therefore hard drive is spinned up. For example - if I set
HDD to spin down after two minutes and kernel will touch swap approximately
every five minutes, it means that hard drive will be spinned up 120 times
every day (10 hours of power on), 43 800 cycles per year which will
definitely wreck my HDD :-(.