[CentOS] What on Centos is wiping out my eth0 IP address every 5 minutes?

Wed Jul 24 15:38:58 UTC 2013
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 07/24/2013 10:07 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> on the router, see if it will accept a fixed IP, rather than one
> assigned by DHCP; if so, you can set it on the laptop. I'd also check
> to see if you need to deal with NetworkManager to do that. I don't
> know - I *loathe* NM, and am majorly annoyed that upstream decided to
> put a tool appropriate for a laptop as the default for *everything*...
> says the guy dealing with 150 or more servers and workstations that
> are hardwired.
You need to get used to it; it's not going away.  I would hazard a guess
that the ability to turn off NM will go away at some point, and NM will
be there all the time even for clustered hosts.

The only times where disabling NM are strictly necessary are for
clustering and bridging; most everything else, including static,
hardwired connections, can easily be done with NM; I've done more than a
few, and NM just worked out of the box.  One just needs to pay attention
to the details and set it up properly.

One of the features planned for Fedora 20 is finally fully CLI support
for creating NM connections.  But, you know where _that_ could go.  The
good news, I guess, is that RHEL7 should be based on F19 or so
(according to some commit messages and recent traffic on the rhel
lists), but might get the nmcli enhancements.

Sorry, just facts.