[CentOS] Kernel 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6 boot fail

Sat Jul 27 12:38:07 UTC 2013
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/26/2013 11:55 AM, Kwan Lowe wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> I installed 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64 today and had some
> boot issues.
>
> After rebooting, the system locked immediately after the Asus
> motherboard logo. I thought at first that it was a hardware issue
> because it didn't appear that grub even loaded. I wasn't even able to
> get into the BIOS to change the boot order so it appeared that it was
> a hardware issue. I reset the MB BIOS and rebooted, which allowed me
> to get into the BIOS. Everything looked normal. I then tried to boot
> and the same issue.  I repeated the BIOS clear and this time got to
> grub and let it load the latest kernel (2.6.32-358.14.1.el6). It hung
> again. I repeated the BIOS clear, go to the grub screen, selected the
> previous kernel and everything was fine.
>
> Once I got to the OS, I removed the "rhgb quiet" from grub.conf from
> the newest kernel. Rebooted. Hung again immediately after loading. The
> weird thing is that I couldn't just power down and get back to grub; I
> had to clear the BIOS again before I could even load grub to select
> the previous kernel.
>
> Anyone else experiencing issues with the latest kernel?  Any idea why
> it seems to even corrupt the BIOS?

I have a two ASUS "M5A99X EVO R2.0" motherboard based machines that I
use for testing CentOS and I have booted the 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.x86_64
and the 2.6.32-358.14.1.el6.centos.plus.x86_64 kernels on both machines
without any issues.