[CentOS] Update to Gnome 3

Sat Jul 27 21:59:00 UTC 2013
isdtor at gmail.com <isdtor at gmail.com>

Andrew Wyatt top-posted:
> In addition to building GTK3, they would also have to update glib2,
> glibc, atk, and roughly a dozen or more additional packages to support
> just building base GNOME 3.

And that's not where it ends. A potentially much more fundamental and
system-changing requirement may be systemd, which other distros already
require for Gnome 3, e.g. Gentoo.

Johnny Hughes writes:
> I would recommend that if you really MUST have gnome 3, you either use
> gnome2 now and wait for RHEL-7 to be released (then we will release
> CentOS-7 ... which will have gnome3)

I'm not looking forward to this. RedHat needs to undertake major efforts
to make this travesty of a desktop usable or we will be looking at
massive retraining costs for hundreds of thousands, if not more, users
across the board.

RedHat's efforts at innovation to, putting it neutrally, distinguish
themselves from competitors, if that really is the driving business
reason behind incorporating changes that in the view of the wider Linux
community are controversial at best, are deviating from established core
Unix principles for no good reasons. Is it just an unhealthy obsession
with fast boot times; doesn't matter that much to me when some servers
can take minutes from cold start before starting the OS. In RHEL, there
already is pulseaudio, soon systemd/udev/gnome3, and where will it end?
Binary syslog? Systemd beconing the emacs of core system components? Is
there another HAL debacle in the making?