[CentOS] How to know hardware RAID failure

Mon Jul 29 23:05:10 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Todor Petkov <zakk at online.bg> wrote:

> On 29/07/2013 11:39 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have on an old Dell 2850 with 4 SCSI drives, where we put a
> > Hardware
> > RAID5 on 3 disks and left 1 as spare.
> > I dont remember exactly, but the RAID was setup in the BIOS, and when
> > installing CentOS6, I just saw "1 drive".

I'm pretty sure it's a PERC4 controller in those models, but don't hold me
to that.

Run lspci and find out for certain what CentOS 6.x says your RAID
controller is.

>  >
> > If it was software RAID, disk failure could be seen in /proc/mdastat,
> > and I could simulate failure with mdadm.
> >
> > As far as it is hardware ATM, how, at least, to know the state of the
> > RAID array? (syncing, healthy,...)
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> Hello,
>
> If I remember correctly, this Dell model is with Perc RAID and can be
> used with LSI tools. Check the following links:
>
> http://pookey.co.uk/wordpress/archives/46-dell-perc-6i-and-raid-monitoring
> http://tools.rapidsoft.de/perc/
> http://hwraid.le-vert.net/wiki/LSI

James and Todor are spot on.

IPMI will indicate failed drives ("service ipmi start; chkconfig ipmi on;
ipmitool sel list" from your shell and "ipmitool sel clear" to clear the
ipmi log) and Open Manage Server Administrator (OMSA) gives you a webgui
(https://<servername_or_ip:1311).  Depending on what pieces you install
from OMSA there's a bit of bloat (as some admins will put it).  You'll also
probably want MegaCLI (if your RAID controller is indeed a MegaRAID card)
if you don't want to install OMSA (or want a cli alternative).

If you have a network monitoring system set up, you might look for a script
(such as this one for Nagios [0] which requires LSI daemons to be running).

[0]
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Hardware/Storage-Systems/RAID-Controllers/check_snmp_raid--2F-check_sasraid_megaraid/details