[CentOS] Update to Gnome 3

Mon Jul 29 23:23:40 UTC 2013
SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com>

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Dave Johansen <davejohansen at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 PM, <isdtor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > > That's the concept behind the classic mode that was added as part of
> > > Gnome 3.8 and will be the default desktop on RHEL 7. Its user
> > > experience is right in line with Gnome 2 and isn't too much off a
> > > shift for existing users of RHEL, so I don't think there's any reason
> > > to get out the pitchforks.
> >
> >  Classic mode is a joke. I've tried it briefly on F19 and only agree
> >  with
> >
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?s=d8e300363d613f371d2f39a913480ca9&p=1654983&postcount=2
> .
> >  We want our users to be productive from day one. Fiddling around with
> >  this extension and that extension for 28 days to get a usable desktop
> >  is not an option (although Gallagher's review is quite good in most
> > regards,

Average users/people often accept a UI.
I think it's the bulk of the people on this list (admins/power users) that
try to tweak our user interface (and servers) to the max.
Nobody should spend nearly a month fiddling with a UI ... isn't there work
to be done?

Besides this is CentOS (stable) we're talking about, not Fedora Rawhide
(unstable/bleeding ... possibly prone to breakage) ... so the system is
stable+usable even if it doesn't suit one's tastes.

> I would disagree with that statement. I've always felt that Nautilus
> was a horrible interface and I've always been perplexed by the default
> behavior of opening a new window when I click on a folder. So you're
> never gonna make everyone happy.

Easily fixed by using browser windows.  I'd be willing to bet that this is
one of those "tweaks" many people make when they installed older Fedora
versions and CentOS versions. :)

> http://sgallagh.wordpress.com/2013/05/30/one-week-with-gnome-3-classic-prologue/
> .
> >
> >  I'm looking forward to the first RHEL7 beta to see first hand what we
> >  will be having to deal with. Haven't seen much more than RH Summit
> >  presentations yet.
>
> Have you even tried the classic mode? From the times that I've used
> it, it is pretty close to a Gnome 2 style of user interface and it
> seemed like it would be pretty familiar to anyone that's used to Gnome
> 2.

Gnome3 isn't that bad if you give it a chance.
(Sort of like KDE 3.5 to KDE 4.x ... people complained incessantly and
eventually just accepted it and moved on.)

Gnome3 lacks the status bar items I enjoyed (without installing
plugins/addons) which were immediately available in a default Gnome2
install.  But that's easily remedied if you don't like the plain user
interface.  Not that it matters, but Debian Wheezy defaults to a Gnome3
user interface.

Some people are resistant to change - I am to a degree.
Hopefully they can accept Gnome3's Classic Mode or adjust to using XFCE.

<sarcasm>
And for those that don't want to upgrade, there's always CentOS 5 and 6
which will be available from vault.centos.org ;)
</sarcasm>