[CentOS] Kernel 3.10 and CentOS 5

Wed Jul 31 12:38:13 UTC 2013
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 08:25:43PM +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> HAve you checked ElRepo third-party reposiroty?
> kmod packaged drivers for stock kernels. Just go to
> http://elrepo.org/tiki/DeviceIDs and check for vendor:device ID pairing
> that lspci command will show for your rtl8192cu device.

"lsusb" in my case, but yeah.  Interesting.  Thanks.  The driver
there ( kmod-r8192cu-3.4.4_4749-1.el5.elrepo ) appears to detect the
device and join the network.  We'll have to see how stable it is :-)

Thanks!

> Btw, RHEL/CentOS kernel is much more advanced then vanilla kernel of the
> same numbering because Red Hat backports latest drivers  to their kernel.

USB wifi drivers tend to lag in the RH kernel.  The first thing I do is see
if there's a driver of the right name before hunting elsewhere :-)

--

rgds
Stephen