[CentOS] surveillance DVR

Wed Jul 31 16:59:58 UTC 2013

Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Arun Khan wrote:

Active-X, and/or allows logging in directly?

>> > MythTV?  It has a web UI.
>>
>> No joy, either this, nor zoneminder. Right now, we just have motion
running on the servers that have the USB cameras plugged in; after the
recent grief we had with the last upgrade to CentOS, when I wound up
moving one camera that just would not work - the top 10% of the screen
was fine, and the rest green, and the other I had to change the
resolution to 240x360 to get it to not do that, my manager asked me to
look into appliances that we could manage from our servers.

>> We've found Zmodo, and another one, but with *both* of them, though the
DVR that comes with the set is running Linux, web control *REQURES* IE,
and you can't log in directly using ssh or telnet.
> If the camera is running on Windows, you can probably stream directly
from the device using ffmpeg.  See here for details:
>     http://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/DirectShow
> You would set the input as  the camera and the output as a file, and add
any codec options you want, etc...

> I'm sure there's probably a similar mode for Linux.  If nothing else,
you can probe the camera to see what modes it supports, etc..., to make
sure you're picking one that works,

Ok, I *must* not have made clear what I was asking for. Let me try one
more time....

We want an appliance, such as
<http://www.zmodo.com/4ch-h-264-full-d1-dvr-500gb-hdd-with-4-cmos-480tvl-ir-outdoor-security-cameras-with-11-leds.html>,
that we can put on our network, and manage, and d/l videos for long-term
storage, onto a server. We have exactly, um, two? boxes running Windows,
and we normally do *nothing* with them. We've over 100 servers running
Linux, and that's where we live.

Currently, the USB cameras are connected to ->CENTOS SERVERS<-, no WinCrap
at all. We use the standard package motion to record for surveillance.
We're looking for an "appliance", like the link I give above, that we can
manage the same way that we manage an HP printer, which does *NOT* require
IE, and we can do with firefox, or probably even konqueror. At the very
least, we want to use, say, wget, to d/l the videos.

NOTHING RUNNING WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, if I can calm myself down, have I made it clear what it is we're
looking for? If so, can anyone recommend a source for such an appliance?

        mark