[CentOS] surveillance DVR

Wed Jul 31 21:01:56 UTC 2013

Joseph Spenner wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
>> mark wrote:
>>> Ok, I *must* not have made clear what I was asking for. Let me try one
>>> more time....
>>>
>>> We want an appliance, such as
>>> <http://www.zmodo.com/4ch-h-264-full-d1-dvr-500gb-hdd-with-4-cmos-480tvl-ir-outdoor-security-cameras-with-11-leds.html>,
>>> that we can put on our network, and manage, and d/l videos for
>>> long-term storage, onto a server. We have exactly, um, two? boxes running
>>> Windows, and we normally do *nothing* with them. We've over 100
servers running
>>> Linux, and that's where we live.
> <snip>
>>> NOTHING RUNNING WINDOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Not knowing if / how much you're willing to spend, take a look at a
>> Synology NAS, which has Surveillance Station. You get one camera license
>> with each one and then you have to buy additional camera licenses for
>> about $55 each.
>>
>> Of course you'd be getting a lot more than just a surveillance DVR, so
>> may or may not fit your needs. They are great devices.
>
> You mentioned ZoneMinder, and how it wouldn't work for you.
> What does it lack?   I've recently been using it, and it seems to work
> quite well.
> ... just curious..

It's not a plug-in appliance, it's software. We are currently running the
cameras on our servers, and my manager, as I've said, was considering a
plug-in appliance, that we could access and back up from our Linux servers
or workstations, and not have to worry that, as just happened with the
last kernel update, it would break the drivers.

       mark