[CentOS] OS upgrade from CentOS 6.x version.

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 9 10:02:38 UTC 2013

Am 09.06.2013 um 10:56 schrieb Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Markus Falb <wnefal at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 09.Jun.2013, at 10:34, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>>
>>> Updates to the next major version (like 5.x to 6.x)
>>
>> I tend to call this new install and not update.
>
> Also any difference between upgrade and update. its very confusing. I see
> on the forums some say update and some upgrade. Please help me understand.

5.x to 6.a - upgrade (never do this on a production system and its not supported)

6.x to 6.y - update

you can also do a partially update - lets say just security relevant stuff.

You need to have "yum-plugin-security" installed

$ yum install  yum-plugin-security

and then compare the output of

$ yum --security update

vs.