[CentOS] Link for Logical Volume has incorrect SE Linux context

Clint Dilks

clint.dilks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 11:49:57 UTC 2013

Hi

A few days ago we rebooted a server and found that one of the Logical
Volumes would not mount at boot, but mounted cleanly manually.

So I traced the problem to SE Linux.  Specifically the context for
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-lv_
staff is wrong.

s -lsahZ /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-*
lrwxrwxrwx. root root system_u:object_r:quota_db_t:s0
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-lv_staff -> ../dm-25
lrwxrwxrwx. root root system_u:object_r:device_t:s0
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-lv_student -> ../dm-24

I have tried to correct this with the Logical Volume active and mounted
using

chcon -v --reference /dev/mapper/VolGroup01-lv_student
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-lv_staff and while this command completes the
context is not changed.

Can someone confirm or deny that making the Logical Volume inactive and
then repeating the chcon should change the link to the correct context?

Thanks for any insight you can offer.