[CentOS] crash with CentOS 6.3 2.6.32-220.4.1.el6.x86_64

drichards at globalcerts.net drichards at globalcerts.net
Tue Jun 18 21:19:08 UTC 2013

Hi,

My colleague found this:

Red Hat
BZ#765665

A possible race between the n_tty_read() and reset_buffer_flags()
functions could result in a NULL pointer dereference in the
n_tty_read() function under certain circumstances. As a consequence,
a kernel panic could have been triggered when interrupting a current
task on a serial console. This update modifies the tty driver to use
a spin lock to prevent functions from a parallel access to
variables. A NULL pointer dereference causing a kernel panic can no
longer occur in this scenario.
(231 kernel)

> On 06/14/2013 04:57 PM, drichards at globalcerts.net wrote:
>> Since I have the screen shot, how/where can I report this as a known
>> problem? I looked at the bug fixes, but couldn't tell if this has been
>> fixed on 6.4 (-248 version).
>
> If you reply to my email with the details requested, we can try to start
> figuring out where your setup is broken and how.

The processes in use are: httpd, MySQL, and sendmail, which are used by
our SecureMail Gateway application. The crash seems to be triggered by a
'telnet localhost ' command checking if ports 443 and 25 are up.
The screen at the crash included the words 'telnet' and 'n_tty_read() '
If you send me another email where I can send the image of the screen
shot, I can send it to you.

Thanks,
  Dirce