[CentOS] fail2ban with standard Apache log format?

Tony Mountifield

tony at softins.co.uk
Wed Jun 19 11:25:51 UTC 2013

I want to use fail2ban on CentOS 6 to monitor Apache with the standard
default logfile format ("combined"). Has anyone here succeeded in doing so?

The format has the IP at the start of the line, followed by two dashes
(if no authentication) and THEN the timestamp. What I've read on the
fail2ban wiki seems to say that the timestamp must ALWAYS be at the start
of the line, followed by other stuff. I'm amazed if it isn't configurable...

I'm using fail2ban 0.8.8 from EPEL.

Cheers
Tony
--