[CentOS] Oddity with CentOS 6.4 instasll

Ljubomir Ljubojevic centos at plnet.rs
Sat Jun 22 16:15:01 UTC 2013

On 06/22/2013 04:41 PM, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 10:36:32AM -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
>

>> If I use BTRFS on the Fedora system, the CentOS system won't install.  If
>> Fedora is using ext4, it installs as expected.  Interesting that this is a
>> regression on RH's part (I say RH because I had the same results with
>> Scientific Linux, and regression because the issue doesn't occur in CentOS
>> 6.3)  The failure comes early, at examining basic storage.
>
> I should add that if there is already a CentOS system on the machine, there
> are no problems with installing Fedora using BTRFS.  Additionally, if one
> wants to reinstall CentOS after installing the Fedora system with BTRFS one
> can use 6.3.

I think Btrfs was depreciated in favor of XFS for RHEL 7:

     [W]e're looking to make XFS the new default for boot, for root and
for user data predictions because it's a better match for our enterprise
customers than btrfs seems to be.

     Denise Dumas, director of software engineering at Red Hat Inc.

So maybe it started with 6.4 kernels, or maybe there was just a bug in
initial kernel.

Also, there could be two causes:

1. You tried to use btrfs partitions with only formatting them.

2. You used GPT partition table that 6.4 can not see properly?

--
Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)