[CentOS] Korganizer Calendar Alarms stopped working

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Mon Jun 24 20:07:48 UTC 2013

On 06/24/2013 12:42 PM Frank Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:17:12 -0400
> ken wrote:
>
>> For a long time--years-- I've been using Korganizer's Calendar.  But
>> lately-- since the last kernel upgrade, I believe-- the alarms don't
>> work anymore.
>
> Is korganizer calendar alarm the same thing as kalarm?  kalarm works fine for
> me but I don't use korganizer calendar.
>
> Are you sure that it's running?  Does the little alarm doodad appear in your
> Notification Area?

Thanks, Frank.

Oddly, I have the executables /usr/bin/kalarm and /usr/bin/kalarmd
installed (they're part of kdepim, of which korganizer is also a part),
but I don't have the package 'kalarm' installed.  But it's always been
this way, AKAICT... for years.  And the last update to the kdepim
package was Tue 13 Sep 2011.  The failure with the alarms just started
in the past couple months or so.  And you're right, I don't have the
icon you spoke of in my notification area.  Hmmm.

Restarted KOrganizer, the icon came back, along with two months worth of
alarms.

There's still a puzzle though.  My uptime now is 21 days, meaning I
rebooted 3 weeks ago, meaning that KOrganizer was restarted then of
course.  But restarting it then didn't bring up the icon (as far as
anyone notices a few pixels like that) and didn't start the daemon which
brings up the alarms.  So there's still something weird going on, but at
least it's working for the moment and I know to watch for the icon.

Thanks much.
ken