[CentOS] dmidecode Output

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Jun 25 00:52:54 UTC 2013

On 6/24/2013 5:43 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> The manual that came with my MB says that my MB can support up to 2 Gb
> of DDR2 RAM.  dmidecode seems tell me that I can load up to 8 Gb on this MB.
>
> As 4 Gb DDR2 sticks cost about $100 each I figured maybe I should ask,
> what's the chances that I can plug in two 4 Gb sticks in this machine
> and actually have it work?

what chipset/cpu does this MB use?  that drives what can be supported,
and what might actually work.    a given memory configuration also
requires BIOS support to properly initiallize the system memory
controller for the memory size/shape/speed.

MB manuals are often full of errors, and are generally not updated once
published with an initial version of a product, using boilerplate text
from previous versions.   of course, this varies widely with mobo
makers... Intel documentation tends to be more accurate and complete
than most others, especially if you dig up and include the Technical
Specification Updates....