[CentOS] Cannot get Centrino N 6200 wireless NIC to work Cento 6.4

Thu Jun 6 21:51:02 UTC 2013
Selwyn Schultz Sr <selwynsr at gmail.com>

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Selwyn Schultz Sr <selwynsr at gmail.com>wrote:

> The first thing I checked was the BIOS settings, and the radio is turned
> on.
>
> I have a clean install again and am still not working.
>
> I think the iwlagn driver was deprecated by the iwlwifi driver.  In the
> dmesg output I saw that it lists with iwlwifi direver as being the Wifi
> Link AGN driver for Linux.
>
> Two messages jump out at me.  Unable to init EEPROM and HARDWARE GONE??  I
> have tried toggling the radio on and off after booting but that does not
> seem to make a difference.
>

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Cal Webster <cwebster at ec.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2013-05-16 at 16:16 -0400, Selwyn Schultz Sr wrote:
>> > I am very new to installing Linux on laptops.  I got it working on
>> another
>> > Toshiba I owned without to much trouble, and then decided I wanted to
>> > experiment with KVM so I bought this laptop with an I5 chip.
>> >
>> > Anyway I tried modprobe iwlagn and the driver is not found.  I then did
>> > search for it using find and again came up empty handed.  Googling for
>> > Centos iwlagn seems to indicate that the module is a standard part of
>> the
>> > Centos 6 build.  But I seem to be missing this on my installation.  I
>> will
>> > do a fresh installation and see if that does not install the module.
>> >

>> Before you do that, try searching the yum repo. I came up with a number
>> of hits:
>>
>> [root at INET1 ~]# yum search iwlagn
>> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, refresh-packagekit, security
>> epel/metalink                                            |  13 kB
>> 00:00
>>  * base: centos.mirror.constant.com
>>  * epel: archive.linux.duke.edu
>>  * extras: centos.aol.com
>>  * updates: dist1.800hosting.com
>> adobe-linux-i386                                         |  951 B
>> 00:00
>> adobe-linux-x86_64                                       |  951 B
>> 00:00
>> base                                                     | 3.7 kB
>> 00:00
>> extras                                                   | 3.5 kB
>> 00:00
>> google-chrome                                            |  951 B
>> 00:00
>> updates                                                  | 3.5 kB
>> 00:00
>> =============================== Matched: iwlagn
>> ================================
>> iwl100-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 100
>> Series
>>                        : Adapters
>> iwl1000-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel® PRO/Wireless 1000 B/G/N
>> network
>>                         : adaptors
>> iwl5150-firmware.noarch : Firmware for Intel® Wireless 5150 A/G/N
>> network
>>                         : adaptors
> [...]

I put this aside for a while but I would still like to get this laptop
working on my wireless Network.  I found that it will work just fine with
Linux Mint R14, but I want to use Centos 6.4.

The driver and firmware used by Mint are the same driver and firmware
versions as found in Centos 6.4, but they do not work with this adapter
with Centos 6.4.  Any other suggestions on how I can get the N 6200 to work
with Centos 6.4?

By the way I tried it with Scientific Linux 6.4 and it had the same dmesg
errors as Centos 6.4.
--
Selwyn Schultz
selwynsr at gmail.com