[CentOS] Setting up paths etc. for Qt 4 development

Tue Jun 11 08:02:03 UTC 2013
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Hi,

I was just wondering, is there a "correct" or "preferred" way of setting
up the path and other environment variables for Qt 4 development/build
using qmake and all - on a CentOS 6 system?

I mean, this does not work out-of-the box, at least if you have build
files that assume "qmake" may be executed just like that - as there is
no Qt 4 qmake on the path, although "qmake-qt4" is available. Also, if
qt3-devel is installed, and the default path setup is used, "qmake" will
point to the Qt 3 version, as the package includes a profile.d file that
modify the path in such a way. Which also sets up other Qt related
variables, I believe. There is no such file in qt4-devel, however.

I know ways to set up everything so that this works as expected, of
course, but it would be interesting to know how the packagers intended
it to be done. Are you expected to edit login files by hand? That's sort
of surprising in this day and age... Or is the thinking that the
suffixed ("-qt4") version of commands will always be used? Or that
everyone will be using plain make with pkg-config? Or is there some
other mechanism that should to be used to select the right Qt version?

- Toralf

This e-mail, including any attachments and response string, may contain proprietary information which is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is for the intended recipient only. If you are not the intended recipient or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by return e-mail and delete this message and any attachment immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, forward, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way except as permitted by the author.