[CentOS] ssh -Y X-forwarding?

Tue Jun 4 20:32:00 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Pete Travis <lists at petetravis.com> wrote:

>> On rare occasions I want to run a remote X command (like 'meld' to
>> interactively merge changes in files)
>
> Why not use git? You can branch to work on changes, use meld as 'git
> difftool'   (or merge, or cherry-pick) to communicate changes, and push
> changes from your 'production' branch to your 'production' repo. You get to
> work with the same tools, and gain a solid development, testing and
> deployment solution in the process.

The scenario that usually triggers it is when I update a package with
a complex configuration like OpenNMS and end up with .rpmnew instances
for the files that have local changes.  In this case I don't care
about versioning, I just want to be able to see the lines I changed in
context with the new file and merge them unless the update has some
conflicting differences.  Meld by itself handles that pretty well.
And git is a little too weird for me - when I am doing version control
I want a central authority.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com