[CentOS] xhost + via Desktop centos 6.3 not working

Wed Jun 5 20:13:39 UTC 2013
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 6/5/2013 6:15 AM, Edsall, William (WJ) wrote:
>   In the past we have instructed users to perform 'xhost +' from their centos desktop, then set the DISPLAY variable on a remote computer to forward their display back to the desktop. This does not seem to work on centos 6 - but it did work in centos 5. It works from a vnc session on the desktop machine, but does not work from the local desktop.
>
> We would typically use a display variable like this: export DISPLAY=163.198.177.218:0.0 -  The target system acts like the request is being refused:
> Error: Can't open display: 163.198.177.218:0.0
>
> Have there been any changes in centos 6 which make xhost + behave differently for the desktop session?
>   We've been struggling with this issue now for some time - can't find the right solution. Any help would be appreciated!

thats an awful practice.

instead, connect to the target machine with an SSH client that has
'x-forwarding' enabled (this is a checkbox in PuTTY or SecureCRT, and is
the -X flag on ssh command line).   have your X 'server' running locally
(already running if you're on a unix workstation, I recommend Xming for
MS Windows desktops), and now any X application you launch via that ssh
session will open on your local desktop automagically.