[CentOS] PXE Boot Live CD

Thu Jun 6 12:38:08 UTC 2013
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Tucker <junk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you trying to PXE boot a RAM based OS image?  If so, I've actually been
> working on something similar.  I have a different end goal but I think the
> fundamental concept is the same.  After much monkeying around (including
> basically rolling my own mini Linux distro), I've finally learned enough to
> get back on track using CentOS as the base.  Basically, you just need to
> use yum with the --installroot option, make a customized /init, move a
> couple files into place and cpio the whole thing up.
>
> This is basically what I do for an extremely minimal OS image:

Have you looked at drbl? http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

We use it to boot clonezilla-live isos  fpr disk imaging in order to
be able to use recent drivers for the target machines while running
CentOS on the sever.  I'm not sure if it is generalized enough to boot
arbitrary isos but it can boot installers or boot into the host OS
with the host system NFS-mounted, and includes menu-driven script
setup.

--
  Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com