[CentOS] Virtualization in RHEL

Sat Jun 8 17:22:16 UTC 2013
Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com>

On Sat, Jun 08, 2013 at 08:19:34AM -0500, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> On 06/08/2013 08:16 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> >>

> >> VirtualBox is probably the quickest and easiest to use on CentOS.  The
> >> other options are VMware-player and KVM.

> >> The way to get help here would be to tell us what you did, and what errors
> >> you saw.
> > I agree with all this, except I would say KVM is the easiest to use as
> > it is part of the distribution.

I'm not sure that's correct.  (That it's the easiest).  Recently, the talk
about going for an RHSCA made me look into KVM for the first time in
awhile.  I had to google a bit to
get it working--not horribly difficult (would have been easier save for
typing Bridge instead of BRIDGE in a config file, looking at it at least 10
times and not figuring out the error, but..).  I think VBox is more
intuitive to the newcomer, though if the OP is wondering about this for one
of the tests, then KVM is definitely the way to go.

> > If you want virtualization only, then KVM and virt-install is going to
> > be the way to script an automated install:
> >
> > https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/index.html

I'm going to mention another link that I found useful

http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/KVM_Virtualization_in_RHEL_6_made_easy.pdf

Not for using it with a kickstart, but as a quick KVM setup.  Afterwards,
the link you gave has, in 15.1 and so on help with working with with
kickstart (or at least PXE, even if they don't go into detail about
kickstart)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6