[CentOS] What method would you suggest for installing the Pinta screenshot editor on CentOS 6.4?

Thu Jun 20 15:30:36 UTC 2013
Rock <Rocksockdoc at gmail.com>

On Thu, 20 Jun 2013 09:32:41 +0100, Nux! wrote:

> install Shutter; does what you said and more.

I have had Shutter all along on my CentOS 6.4 laptop.

Here's how Shutter compares to Paint.NET on those 3 key annotation items:
(IMHO)

1. Curved & dashed arrows:
   Shutter arrows are primitive and don't come close to what Paint.NET does
   with arrows. Even Kolourpaint does a better job with curved arrows than
   does Shutter; but neither can do dashes, dotted lines, or solder dots,
   or various arrowheads like Paint.NET does. Kolourpaint can curve an arrow;
   but once you've seen how Paint.NET does curves, you'll never be happy with
   anything else. <=== this is the key usability feature of Paint.NET, IMHO!

2. Open boxes & ellipses:
   Shutter does a fine job of drawing open boxes and ellipses; just as
   nicely as does Paint.NET or Kolourpaint.

3. Ad-hoc texting:
   Shutter does not need a bounding box for ad-hoc texting; and you
   can move the results around the screen, and rearrange the margins;
   however, Shutter brings up an annoying unnecessary duplicate editing
   window, where you have to make all your changes in *that* extra
   editing window (and not in the spot you're actually texting). So,
   you have to look with one eye where you're typing and with the other
   eye you have to see what's going on in the screenshot (and, some of
   us, use our third eye to see what we're typing on the keyboard!). :)

In summary, Shutter is a nice tool, and I use it myself, as I do KolourPaint
(and a few others, including The GIMP); however, once you've seen how well
Paint.NET does arrows - you'll be amazed at the power & usability of
that one key feature for annotating screenshots.

I do not know if Pinta handles arrows like Paint.NET did; but if it does,
that alone would make Pinta a keeper on any CentOS system that does annotation!