[CentOS] Reorg of a RAID/LVM system

SilverTip257

silvertip257 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 04:49:58 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM, Harold Pritchett <harold at uga.edu> wrote:

> I have a system with 4 disk drives, two 512 Gb and two 1 Tb.
> It look like this:
>
> CentOS release 5.9 (Final)
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
> Disk /dev/sdb: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
> Disk /dev/sdc: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
> Disk /dev/sdd: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
>
> ... snipped...

> One of the 512 Gb drives is failing.  What I want to do is to replace the
> two 512 Gb drives with 3 Tb drives, expand the RAID array on them and then
> expand the LVM PV contained therein.  This much I can do.

Make a backup.  You haven't said you did, but I won't go without saying it.
You're going to need a backup even _if_ you moving extents between PVs.

> I then want to move all of the date from the other PV into this one, and
> remove
> the second PV, RAID array, and the two 1 Tb drives, leaving me with two 3
> Tb
> drves, a large RAID array and a single PV containing everything (except
> the /boot
> and SWAP partitions.)
>
> What I'm not sure about is how to move the date from the second PV to the
> first so I can then delete the contents of the drive and physically remove
> them
> from the system leaving me with only the two 3 Tb drives.

You add your new PVs to the VG that your existing PVs are in.  Then run
pvmove [0] to migrate extents from the old PV to the new one.  There are a
couple of examples at the link I referenced.

[0]
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Cluster_Logical_Volume_Manager/online_relocation.html

> Help!
>
> Thanks