[CentOS] EDNS support

Tilman Schmidt

t.schmidt at phoenixsoftware.de
Fri Mar 1 16:25:45 UTC 2013

Am 01.03.2013 16:56, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> I am having problems with EDNS support on a few Centos 6.3 bind
> servers.  I am trying to determine if the problem is my Juniper SSG5
> firewall of Centos.
>
> All the servers have firewall enabled, though I have tested with
> stopping iptables and ip6tables.  I am using tests from:
>
> https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/replysizetest
>
> dig @localhost +short rs.dns-oarc.net txt
>
> gets:
>
> ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
>
> Is anyone here running bind on their server and can run this command
> from the server?  If you are not getting this truncation, then my
> problem is the firewall.  If you are, then either you have figured out
> the  majic for Centos or something like that...

With bind-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.6 on CentOS 5.9 behind a Juniper SSG140:

[ts at dns01 ~]$ dig @localhost +short rs.dns-oarc.net txt
rst.x996.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x1956.x996.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x2442.x1956.x996.rs.dns-oarc.net.
"Tested at 2013-03-01 16:18:18 UTC"
"x.x.x.3 sent EDNS buffer size 4096"
"x.x.x.3 DNS reply size limit is at least 2442"
[ts at dns01 ~]$

IPv6 works equally well:

[ts at dns01 ~]$ dig @localhost6 +short rs.dns-oarc.net txt
rst.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x4049.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
rst.x4055.x4049.x3827.rs.dns-oarc.net.
"x:x:x:x:x:x:x:7509 sent EDNS buffer size 4096"
"x:x:x:x:x:x:x:7509 DNS reply size limit is at least 4055"
"Tested at 2013-03-01 16:21:29 UTC"
[ts at dns01 ~]$

--
Tilman Schmidt