[CentOS] Tomcat query from complete newbie

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 19:42:41 UTC 2013

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I'm a complete tomcat beginner -
> (I installed it on my CentOS-6.3 server this morning.)
> According to the web-interface on port 8080
> tomcat is running fine.
>
> Basically, I want to allow a Java program I have written
> (which works well) to be run over the internet.
> This is to test students understanding of Turing machines.
> The student has to enter a short "program"
> (consisting of 20-80 "quadruples").
> My program will then test if the program does
> what it is meant to do.
>
> So the student enters his program (about 1k),
> eg by pasting from a file - the program should then run,
> and the student should see what it outputs.
>
> I'm looking for advice on the best way to set this up.
> As I understand it, tomcat can either be run "standalone"
> or "behind apache".
> I am running httpd on the server, so either method should be available.
> It seems that the standalone option is simpler,
> so I would probably prefer that.

On the tomcat side there really isn't any difference.  The reason you
would run behind apache would be to permit running all http
connections over port 80, while letting apache handle some URL's
internally and proxying other paths to other programs.    If port 8080
is open and you don't need to restrict access to other tomcat apps you
might as well go direct.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com