[CentOS] preventing apache from being a mail relay

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Mar 3 22:54:32 UTC 2013

On 03/03/2013 05:39 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 03.03.2013 22:49, schrieb Robert Moskowitz:

>>> what are you speaking about?
>>> apache is a WEBSERVER and has NOTHING to do with email
>> There was an attack, and if you search you will find references to it, where the spammers post to your web server
>> in such a way that they relay out port 25.  They send to your port 80, but you send out port 25.  For example:
>>
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/archive/index.php/t-173601.html
> only if you are so stupid and enable prxy-requests and load
> any useless module becuse it exists - in other words: this
> only affects poorly wrong configured setups which have way
> larger problems as this one

Once upon a time, it worked this way out of the box.  I did NOT set up
proxy, and I was being pounded, and found I had to turn it off. Now
knowing what to look for, I found my notes and it was back on my '07 server.

There is no reason for a general web server to function as a proxy, so
for some time it has come with that part commented out.  I looked a
another '10 box (Centos 5.5) that had apache installed but never used
and the proxy part was commented out.

So yes, anyone turning on proxy today without care gets what they set
up.  But again, who needs proxying on a general web server?