[CentOS] suggestions for simple audio editor

Carl T. Miller

carl at carltm.com
Mon Mar 4 02:05:35 UTC 2013

On 02/28/2013 08:15 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
> On 03/01/2013 07:24 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
>> What I think you're saying is: if you place the cursor at a location
>> that is, e.g., 1.43 seconds into the clip, right-click then drag (in
>> either direction) until you've selected the part you want to cut, that
>> Audacity moves the endpoints of you selection from where you put them
>> to a whole-second point?
 >
> I just wonder if this is an artifact from having started with an mp3
> rather than a proper wave file?

I finally figured out what the problem was.  I started audacity at the
shell prompt with the name of my wav file as a parameter.  After doing
more searching, I found that audacity will not allow edits to an
original file.  So I started audacity without any parameters, opened
the wav file, and saved it as a project.  I was then able to edit it.

I just wish that audacity warned me that I was in readonly mode.
Otherwise everything else about it was pretty intuitive.  Thanks for
all of the suggestions!