[CentOS] Google Earth on EL6.x x86_64

Fred Smith

fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Wed Mar 6 03:54:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 03:59:01PM +0100, Toralf Lund wrote:
> On 04/03/13 04:35, Fred Smith wrote:

> >> Fred,
> >>
> >> You will need to install the following 32 bit packages
> >>
> >> 1. redhat-lsb.i686
> >> 2. mesa-libGL.i686
> >> 3. mesa-libGLU.i686
> >>
> >> I get this to work on my laptop a few days ago.
> > thanks Earl, I'll give it a whirl.
> >
> > I did "ldd /opt/google/earth/free/googleearth-bin" and got back a list
> > of a dozen or so "not found" items,
> >   would you be willing to check on
> > your system and see what you get back? (that might be because it has
> > not been thru the preceding shellscript that might set up some ENV
> > to point to the right places, I suppose.)
> I think it should be able to resolve all "external" libs via standard path.
>
> You probably need to install 32-bit versions of a lot more libs, like Qt
> and the basic X11 stuff. The real problem here is that libraries used is
> not listed in the package requirements. Not to mention the fact that the
> so-called 64-bit package actually contains 32-bit binaries. Or at least,
> that's the case for the one I have -
> google-earth-stable-7.0.2.8415-0.x86_64.

Yes, I did the modifications given earlier by Earl and one other poster
and now google earth starts up.

but it complains there's no usable graphics card, and only displays
the menus/borders/etc, with the main view window being empty/black.

I do have a supported graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 9800GT), and have
the nvidia drivers installed.

can anyone advise how to make GE recognize it? I'm guessing it's failing
because Google seems to be distributing 32-bit binaries instead of 64-bit
binaries, but I've no clue  how to fix this.

Clues will be appreciated!

thanks in advance.

Fred

    community.