[CentOS] lost connection during yum update

Frank Cox

theatre at melvilletheatre.com
Sun Mar 10 23:40:39 UTC 2013

On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 19:29:56 -0400
Gerry Reno wrote:

> Did you try booting a rescue disk and reinstalling the bootloader?

I booted the "Centos 6.4 minimal iso", told it to "upgrade an existing
installation", and to install the bootloader.  About all that it appeared to do
was install the bootloader.  Unfortunately, the machine still didn't boot.

The bootloader seems to be fine -- grub itself boots up.  I get a kernel panic
after that, when you normally see the messages about unpacking vmlinuz and so
on.  I just get a blank black screen with a flashing cursor (or the rhgb
screen with the spinning doodad, depending on the grub setting) and then a
kernel panic.