[CentOS] Postfix setup

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Mar 11 09:01:58 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 04:39 AM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 11.03.2013 03:54, schrieb Austin Einter:
>> Dear All
>> I am planning to setup mail server for my domain.
>>
>> Which one is preferred postfix or sendmail.
> Choose the one you understand best.
>
>> I came across a link *
>> http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/setup-mail-server-using-postfixdovecotsquirrelmail-in-centosrhelscientific-linux-6-3-step-by-step/
>> * for postfix mail setup.
> Don't follow tutorials. Period.
> They don't really teach you how to do things. Look at the one you
> refered to: it explains nothing. It keeps you dumb and in case something
> goes wrong - and be assured, things will go mad running a mailserver -
> you have not the slightest clue how to debug or how to fix it.
>
> So please, read the original documentation of the MTA of choice.
>
> And don't expect to be able to configure your first MTA properly right
> from the beginning. So don't start with a public one but train in a
> closed area like a protected LAN.
>
>> It says,
>> Prerequisites:
>>
>>     - The mail server should contain a valid MX record in the DNS server.
>>     Navigate to this link how to setup DNS
>> server<http://ostechnix.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/setup-dns-server-step-by-step-in-centos-6-3-rhel-6-3-scientific-linux-6-3-3/>
>>     .
>>     - Firewall and SELinux should be disabled.
> Any tutorial or page that instructs you to turn off the firewall and/or
> SELinux is going plainly wrong right from the start. I have no words
> about that nonsense.

So far, I have not found any published selinux help for dovecot using a
mysql store for domain/userid accounts.  This is a common setup, in fact
postfixadmin is available to simplify this approach. But maybe my search
fu continues to be weak and I have missed the selinux help for this. I
HAVE received general help that is helping me build the module.pp files
to address the selinux requirements. So I am fixing this, and when I
publish MY learning experience, I will definitely include this portion.
It frightens me that there is so much out there on HOW to set this up;
you read a bunch of them to get the information to help plow through the
documentation, but no help on selinux.

>> I have disabled iptables as my m/c is behind the firewall.
>>
>> It says I need to disable firewall. Is it really required. Kindly let me
>> know.
> It is required to configure the iptables based firewall, but it is not
> required to completely shut it off.
In another email I have supplied all the ports he is likely to need opened.