[CentOS] SSL Certificate

Digimer

lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Mar 11 23:34:22 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 07:05 PM, Austin Einter wrote:
> Dear All
> This is my continuation of postfix setup.
> Following link
> http://campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/LinuxServersCentOS/Cent6VirtMailServerfor
> postfix setup.
>
> At one stage it says,
> Configuring The Server Setup SSL Certificate
>
> Now generate an SSL certificate for postfix and dovecot to have TLS
> support. Replace mail.example.com with your server hostname.
>> genkey --days 3650 mail.example.com
>

> My doubt is ,
>
> 1. I have to install a SSL certificate for for web server (apache case). I
> am planning to purchase a SSL certificate and put it. The same certificate
> will be useful for both web server and mail server OR both web and mail
> server needs to separate separate SSL certificates.
>

> 2. I hope for web server case, one must purchase a ssl certificate and use
> it (so that browsers will work smoothly without complain). For mail server
> can one use locally generated ssl certificate?
>

> Kindly let me know.
>

> Best Regards
>
> Austin

Hi,

   I use mail.domain.com, so I needed another certificate. I got the
second certificate the same way I got the first, save for the change in
the domain name.

   A self-signed certificate will trigger a warning for users. For this
reason, I did not use self-signed and I suspect you don't want to use a
self-signed, either.

--
Digimer
access to education?