[CentOS] CentOs 6.4 and video drivers

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Mar 12 05:20:34 UTC 2013

On 12/03/13 00:15, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> On 03/11/2013 05:58 PM, Trevor Cooper wrote:

>>> Unfortunately older Radeon HD 4000, HD 3000, HD 2000 Series are NOT
>>> currently supported as the current AMD driver does NOT support the new
>>> version of Xorg in 6.4.
>>>
>>> So your HD 4800 series is NOT supported.
>>>
>>> Radeon HD 7000, HD 6000, HD 5000 Series ARE supported by the version
>>> 13.1 driver currently in the testing repo. I've had a couple of reports
>>> that this driver works so I'll move it to the main repo shortly. If you
>>> have supporting hardware I would recommend updating to this driver
>>> before performing the 6.4 update.
>>
>> I've read the Known Issues in the C64 Release Notes.
>>
>> Any thoughts on whether it's sufficient to 'exclude=xorg*' prior to updating
>> from 6.3 to 6.4 to keep the X server compatible with AMD 4xxx series
>> card/driver? Will I be the first to try this?
>>
>> Trevor
>
> I would guess not because the problem is that the driver is not
> compatible with the kernel.  The problem does not lie with the X server.

No, the problem DOES lie with the X server. The new version of xorg in
6.4 uses ABI 13 and this ABI is NOT supported by the old AMD driver, nor
the current AMD legacy driver supporting older hardware.

You can clearly see from the xorg log the kernel module loads and it's
the xorg module that fails to load:

(II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so:
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so: undefined symbol:
noXFree86DRIExtension

Please read the details in the cited bug:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=355