[CentOS] [OT/HW] hardware raid -- comment/experience with 3Ware

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Wed Mar 13 17:55:31 UTC 2013

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2013-03-13, SilverTip257 <silvertip257 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'll argue that the software RAID process is slightly more complex.  And
>> it is crucial that one remember to hot-remove the disk ... after all one
>> could panic their box by just yanking the drive.
>
> Agreed, but the OP specifically mentioned wanting to avoid creating more
> on-site work.  He could do all of the steps you mentioned remotely, so
> the amount of on-site work for HW RAID or md RAID is equivalent, and
> therefore shouldn't be a factor in choosing between them.  The added
> complexity might be an issue for a user new to RAID or to device
> management.

In that case, my feeling would be that if the server was purchased with a
RAID controller1], that's what should be used [2].

1. With the exception of the PERC 310, which I really dislike, the first
     version ofthe PERC 7, which *only* allowed DELL h/ds, and Intel
FakeRAID.
2. Otherwise, that's a nice chunk o' change that was wasted in someone's
budget.

        mark