[CentOS] Vhost.conf file and info. re: partitions and physical drives

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Thu Mar 14 18:59:53 UTC 2013

Bruce Whealton wrote:
> I had to go to /home/www/futurewavewebdevelopment.com/logs
> and in the error log, it just says that access is forbidden. I changed the
> permissions and ownership to apache:apache which is what was working
> before.
> If I remove that, I can get to the default page at /var/html/www and it
> displays my new test page and the php.
> Then I tried to have the vhost.conf file point to a directory underneath
> where the default location is in the /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf file -
> that is /var/www/html
> So, I changed the /home below to be /var and I created the respective
> directories, such as /var/www/futurewavewebdevelopment.com/public_html
> which is what I used in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/vhost.conf file.
> Now, the server won't restart.
> Maybe I need to put the errors into a pastbin and see if that helps.
> What I see does not help.
> Any ideas,

What's the DirectoryRoot?

Really, what's more common is /var/www/html (or whatever your company's
practice is, and under *that*
/var/www/html/mydomain1.com
/var/www/html/mydomain2.com
etc., with /var/www/html the overriding DirectoryRoot, but only
/var/www/html/mydomain1.com as DirectoryRoot in each of the configuration
files, /etc/httpd/conf.d/mydomain1.conf, etc.

      mark