[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri Mar 15 17:16:52 UTC 2013

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Mark - as a general word of advise, next time you have an issue, rather
>> than ranting because something isn't working as you expect and calling
>> people stupid, perhaps you could try describing the problem you are
>> experiencing in a rational manor and provide supporting information. It
>> seems you had already decided it was someone else's fault and were more
>> interested in blaming others than examining your own issues.
>
> This is a generic issue that deserves at least some ranting, although
> not particularly at you.  As long as the distro requires the use of a
> repository that  by policy excludes things that almost everyone needs
> we are pretty much forced to use 3rd party repositories that almost by
> definition are uncoordinated in a way that makes their interaction
> unpredictable and any defensive configuration measures likely to fail.
>   I don't see any possibility of changing this, so what else is there
> to do but rant?

I responded to Ned in the way I suggested to him - offlist.

And as the o/p, let me note to everyone else the following points:
   a) I called it a *moderate* rant - I wasn't spitting, screaming in ALL
         CAPS, or calling names (except, by implication, the other admin
         I work with who did this to me).
   b) when people started making suggestions pointing me in the correct
         direction, I neither i) got huffy and deny it was on my end;
         ii) did not continue to scream and yell, but investigated as
         time allowed here at work, and iii) when I found the problem,
         worked to check the fix, and thanked the folks who'd helped.

And I'm *sure* none of you have *ever* had something happened, and gotten
pissed, and screamed all over.....

        mark "is that the Tooth Fairy I see?"
         deny