[CentOS] moderate rant un updates

Gordon Messmer

yinyang at eburg.com
Sat Mar 16 02:09:22 UTC 2013

On 03/15/2013 12:52 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Well, yes there is: it's a matter of security. We're supposed to only use
> certain repos, and no others, to guarantee, as much as we can, what we're
> getting, and that it won't conflict with anything else. Therefore, I got a
> dispensation from my manager for this purpose, and so I want to guarantee
> that I am getting nothing from elrepo other than what's necessary for this
> driver.

That seems reasonable.  I think the lesson that your admin should learn
is that if they want to lock something down, do it from the start.  It
sounds like he probably install kmod-nvidia first, then locked the repo
down not to get other packages.  If he'd applied the filter from the
beginning, it would have had to be correct to install the module.