[CentOS] 2 questions re UPS management

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Tue Mar 19 21:14:45 UTC 2013

Fred Smith wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:25:27PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>> On Mar 19, 2013, at 9:44 AM, Fred Smith wrote:
>>
>> > just to be sure I'm clear: the shutdown command appears to be sent
>> > to windows, as I desire. then instead of honoring the "+5" in the
>> > local shutdown command it shuts down immediately.
>> >
>> > but if I just run the identical script from a commandline it does
>> > exactly what I think it should: (1) tells windows to shut down then
>> > (2) waits 5 mins before shutting down Linux.
>> ----
>> sounds as if there is another daemon that is processing the signal from
>> the UPS system and initiating the power down rendering the 5 minute wait
>> in your script moot.
>
> Well, factor this in, then:
> the original powerfail entry in inittab was the same as the shutdown
> command in my script EXCEPT for the lengthy command that makes windows
> shutdown.  It uses exactly the same "shutdown..." command, and as long
> as that command is inside inittab, when powerfail occurs, the pause
> also occurs.  only when I move it out to the external script does the
> pause fail to happen.

Dunno if this affects it, but I just found a piece about shutting your XP
system down from the command line, and a) he says order of switch matters,
and b) gives this as an example... with *no* + sign, it's just seconds.
shutdown -s -t 60

From
<http://samanathon.com/windows-tip-shutdown-your-computer-with-the-command-prompt/>

       mark